VOLUME XIII, ISSUE 1
August 05, 2020
A Year of Growth and a Year of Grace
As we face very unusual circumstances, we will continually look to our Heavenly Father for grace, wisdom, and peace as we take on the challenges of this new year. It will be a year of growth and a year of grace.
In this UPDATE, you will find information about:
- Important UPCOMING DATES (School CALENDAR can be found here.)
- New Parent Orientation
- Upper School Open House
- Lower School Open House
- 1st Day of School
- Misc Notes
- Immunization Requirements
- Supply List
- Staff Updates
- Matters for Prayer
- Aug. 6th – New Family Orientation – virtual – K -5th grade 6:00 pm, 6th – 12th grade 7:30 pm (See email for link.)
- Aug. 7th – 6th-7th grade, plus New Families in 8th – 12th grade, OPEN HOUSE – 7:00, 7:30, 8:00 (See email for link to reserve your slot.)
- Aug. 10th – K – 5th grade OPEN HOUSE – 6:00, 6:30, 7:00 or 7:30 pm (See email for link to reserve your slot.)
- Aug. 11th – 1st Day of School for 6th – 12th graders (full day). Students should wear dress uniform.
- Aug. 12th – 1st Day of School for K – 5th graders (half day). Students should wear dress uniform. ****Kindergarten will start a 9:00am this day ONLY.****
- Aug. 13th – OPEN HOUSE for TK – 6:30 and 7:00 PM (Watch for more info to come!)
- Aug. 18th – 1st Day of School for TK
- Sept. 7th– LABOR DAY, no school
Open House and New Parent Orientation
- NEW PARENT ORIENTATION – Wednesday, Aug. 6th at 6 PM for K – 5th grades, and 7:30 PM for 6th – 12th grades– This will be a virtual meeting via Google Meet. Amy Fairchild will walk you through what you can expect as a member of the Bradford community.
- OPEN HOUSE –Thursday, Aug. 7th at 7:00, 7:30 or 8:00 pm @ Downtown Campus – This opportunity is 6th – 7th grade students and their families, as well as any new student and family in 8th – 12th grade, to come visit the classrooms and get information from the teachers.
- OPEN HOUSE –Monday, Aug. 10th at 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, or 7:30 pm @ Main Campus – This opportunity is for all K – 5th grade families to hear from Mr. Johnston, meet the teachers, and catch a glimpse of the classroom.
1st Day of School
6th – 12th grades: Tuesday, August 11th
- Drop off: As early as 7:20. We will do temperature checks while the student remains in the car. No parent is to exit the car.
- ***Watch your email for a NEW traffic pattern!!***
- Wear dress uniform
- 3:00 dismissal
K – 5th grades: Wednesday, August 12th
- Drop off for 1st – 5th grades: As early as 7:30. We will do temperature checks while the student remains in the car. No parent is to exit the car.
- ***Drop off for Kindergarten: 9:00 on the first day of school ONLY. We want to provide our kindergarten students a little bit of extra time to acclimate without being overwhelmed.
- Wear dress uniform
- Noon dismissal (for K – 5th only)!
- Tuesday, August 18th
- Yellow Car Tags: We will be distributing your car tags during Open House. (if you don’t know what yellow car tags are, you will find out during the New Parent Orientation!) The only students who will receive them on the first day of school are high school students and any student who did not attend an Open House.
- SUMMER READING:
- The final day to check out books will be THIS Thursday, 8/7/20.
- Summer books should be returned the first day of school.
- Turn in your summer reading log to your classroom teacher.
- House totals will be tallied and the winner announced in Forum.
Here are links to the detailed uniform guides for the different grade levels. If you have any questions be sure to call the office (919-563-9001) or send an email ( email@example.com ). DON’T FORGET TO ORDER PE UNIFORMS for students in 6th – 8th grades and 10th grade.
- SHOES ETC
- Transitional Kindergarten Uniform Guide
- K to 5th Grade Girls
- K to 5th Grade Boys
- MS Girls
- MS Boys
- HS Girls
- HS Boys
- All Immunization Records for new students and rising KINDERGARTEN, and SEVENTH grades must be updated and submitted to the school before the first day of classes.
- Please check with the NORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT of HEALTH and HUMAN SERVICES to determine the required vaccinations for kindergarten and seventh grades.
Here is a link to a printable PDF of the grade level specific supply lists.
- Complete sports physical (Download and print this.)
- Complete the sports waiver and pay $75 athletic fee per athlete.
- Athletic fee covers all competitive sports (soccer, XC, volleyball, basketball).
- Clubs, such as tennis, will have a separate fee.
- Wrestling: $25 for 1st – 5th grade boys, or any boy who does not participate in a competitive sport.
The Lord continues to bless up with growth and an expanding team of top notch professionals. We will update the online biographies shortly; however, we did want to at least introduce the new staff and staff changes.
- TK Assistant: Lisa Francis
- 1st grade: Blake Law teaming up with Tracy Morgan
- 2nd grade: Stephanie Batten teaming up with Megan Jones
- 4th grade: Julie Burtram, a veteran homeschool teacher
- 5th grade: Carson Vogus bringing in expertise from 2 other Classical schools
Our “new” staff at the Downtown Campus includes the familiar faces of:
- Ana Hamilton (Logic School music and Rhetoric School music appreciation)
- Amanda Windes (8th grade Omnibus & 6th – 8th Latin, College Counselor)
Additionally, we welcome Brad Batten (6th grade) to the Logic School adding another husband/wife combo to our ranks.
Matters for Prayer
Please pray for continued wisdom for the leadership of Bradford Academy as we navigate these difficult days with COVID19. It is our prayer and goal to nurture the whole person of each student: their minds, bodies, and souls. Our needs are great, but our God is greater!