BB 2019 – 07 – 16
VOLUME XII, ISSUE 1 (SUMMER UPDATE)
July 16th, 2019
An Exciting New Year is Coming!
It won’t be long and we’ll be back in school, building our minds and our character! I am praying for each and every student by name this summer and trust that 2019-2020 will be our best year yet! The upcoming year is an important milestone in our history as a school. This year we have a complete academic program from Transitional Kindergarten all the way to 12th grade. We will also graduate our first set of seniors! This mid-summer update contains a lot of the information you will need to start the new year well! Enjoy the rest of your summer and we’ll see you soon! Mr. Johnston
In this UPDATE, you will find information about:
- Important UPCOMING DATES (School CALENDAR can be found here.)
- Work Day
- Open House and New Parent Orientation
- 1st Day of School
- Immunization Requirements
- Supply List
- Staff Updates
- Matters for Prayer
- Aug. 3rd – SCHOOL WORKDAY – 8:00 to 12:00
- Aug. 8th – New Family Orientation – 4:00 PM
- Aug. 12th – OPEN HOUSE – 6:00 PM
- Aug. 13th – 1st Day of School for 7th – 12th graders (full day).
- Aug. 14th – 1st Day of School for K – 6th graders (half day).
- Aug. 15th – OPEN HOUSE for TK – 6:30 to 8:00 PM
- Aug. 20th – 1st Day of School for TK
- Sept. 2nd – LABOR DAY, no school
Saturday, August 3, 8:00 – 12:00. All are welcome and encouraged to join us as we prepare our school for the new year!
- The plan: Meet at Main Campus (MC). A crew will go to downtown campus (DTC) as well.
- Indoor jobs include dusting, vacuuming, cleaning desks and windows.
- Outdoor jobs include spreading mulch, cleaning up the trails, etc.
Pizza lunch will be served.
Open House and New Parent Orientation
- NEW PARENT ORIENTATION – Thursday, Aug. 8th at 4 PM – This opportunity is for those families new to Bradford and those who cannot make the Monday night open house. There is a lot of information presented at the Open House, so this opportunity is meant to give our new families a little extra attention if they need it.
- OPEN HOUSE – Monday, Aug. 12th at 6:00 PM – This opportunity is for all our families to come visit the classrooms and get information from the teachers.
1st Day of School
7th – 12th grades: Tuesday, August 13th
- Wear dress uniform
- 3:00 dismissal
K – 6th grades: Wednesday, August 14th
- Wear dress uniform
- Noon dismissal (for K – 6th only)!
- Tuesday, August 20th
Here are links to the detailed uniform guides for the different grade levels. If you have any questions be sure to call the office (919-563-9001) or send an email ( firstname.lastname@example.org ). DON’T FORGET TO ORDER PE UNIFORMS for students in 1st through 8th grades and 10th grade.
- SHOES ETC
- Transitional Kindergarten Uniform Guide
- K to 5th Grade Girls
- K to 5th Grade Boys
- MS Girls
- MS Boys
- HS Girls
- HS Boys
- All Immunization Records for new students and rising KINDERGARTEN, and SEVENTH grades must be updated and submitted to the school before the first day of classes.
- Please check with the NORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT of HEALTH and HUMAN SERVICES to determine the required vaccinations for kindergarten and seventh grades.
Here is a link to a printable PDF of the grade level specific supply lists. It is hard to believe that it is already time to get our back to school shopping done.
- Complete sports physical (Download and print this.)
- Complete the sports waiver and pay $65 athletic fee per athlete. Please submit to the office.
- Athletic fee covers all competitive sports (soccer, XC, volleyball, basketball).
- Clubs, such as tennis, will have a separate fee.
- Wrestling: $25 for 1st – 5th grade boys, or any boy who does not participate in a competitive sport.
The Lord continues to bless up with growth and an expanding team of top notch professionals. We will update the online biographies shortly; however, we did want to at least introduce the new staff and staff changes.
- NEW LOWER SCHOOL DEAN – We have for too long needed additional administrative help. We are committed to keeping our operating costs low; however, to continue to grow and provide the best program we have decided to move Mrs. Ellen Mitchell to a leadership role in the LOWER SCHOOL. Mrs. Mitchell brings with her many years of experience and a thorough knowledge and commitment to the classical model and a deep passion for Christian education.
- 3rd GRADE teacher – Mrs. Lindsay Garner joins the team as Mrs. Mitchell’s replacement in the classroom. Lindsay holds a BS in elementary education and several years of teaching experience in the lower grades. Her most recent teaching position was at Covenant Preparatory School a classical Christian academy in Carthage, NC.
- 1st GRADE teacher – We expanded to two sections of first grade this year, so we will be welcoming Mrs. Tracy Morgan to join Jenny Campbell on the 1st grade team. Mrs. Morgan comes to us from a Classical and Christian school in Hickory NC where she taught in the lower school as well as taught upper school Latin and Spanish. Mrs Morgan holds a B.A. and an M.A. in school counseling.
- Transitional Kindergarten – Mrs. Fallon Grubb will be stepping up into the instructor position in our 5 day TK class assisted by Mrs. Anika Chapman.
- Ms. Marti Hutchison – Ms. Hutchison will be teaching 7th grade Omnibus as well as 9th grade Introduction to Biology and 11th Advanced Biology. Marti is a strong teacher with many years of experience in public and private schools, as well as homeschooling her own children, and serving in children’s ministry as a missionary to Kenya. She holds a BA in Secondary Education (Biology) and an MA in Education (Leadership and Curriculum Development)
- Miss Callie Oldham – Miss Oldham attended a Classical and Christian school before earning a BA from Covenant College and an MA in Teaching Secondary English from the University of Georgia. She comes to us with several years of experience teaching in the public system in Georgia. Callie will teach 8th and 11th Omnibus and 7th and 8th Latin.
- Mr. Jonathan Scott – Mr. Scott has served for several years as a tutor, counselor, and Sunday school teacher. He holds a BA with a triple major in Astrophysics, English Writing, and History. He just completed his MA in Old Testament from Gordon-Conwell. Jonathan will teach 7th-9th Logic and 9th Grade Omnibus.
- Other Changes
- Mrs. Dovan will be taking both Rhetoric I and Rhetoric II (Senior Thesis)
- Mr. Davis will be taking over all our P.E. classes
- Mr. Palmer will be teaching MS math as well as Algebra II and 11th grade’s Systematic Theology.
Matters for Prayer
Please pray for God’s supply regarding specific needs:
- Students: Eager and diligent start to their studies, and development of strong friendships
- Staff: Renewed energy and smooth start.
- Scholarship fund: Growing needs!
- Athletic program: Athletes’ safety, dedication and work ethic in each sport. Coaches to have wisdom in developing and challenging the teams.
- Facilities: We are continuing to pursue the development of property on NC119. Please pray for the committees that have been formed and for God’s supply.